Gurudwara Sis Ganj
The Gurudwara Sis Ganj lies very close to Gurdwara Rakab Ganj Sahib and are both inter-related in a fascinating and spiritual way. Located in the main area of Chandni Chowk in Old Delhi which was earlier known to all as the walled city of Shahjahanabad ruled by Mughal Emperors, it is easily approachable from all directions of Delhi via local auto rickshaws and taxis while a few can travel here from Chandni Chowk Metro Station.
It was way back in 1675, when the ninth Sikh Guru named Guru Teg Bahadur also spelled by few as Guru Tegh Bahadur travelled to Delhi to continue the good work of God. During his stay, Emperor Aurangzeb who was known for his shrewdness and non-secular beliefs made it a mandatory order for people to embrace the religion of Islam. For those who refused, the Emperor would order them to be beheaded and it was at this area where Guru Tegh Bahadur was executed by beheading as he refused to accept Islam as his religion. After his execution, the sky grew very dark and was enveloped with thunder and lightning accompanied with heavy rainfall which made it easy for the Guru's disciples to escape from Chandni Chowk with the body and head of Guru Tegh Bahadur and is known as one of the fine examples of sanctity and divinity of the Guru.
Guru Teg Bahadur had avid followers who loved him immensely of who two were known as his most favourite followers named Lakhi Shah Banjara and Bhai Jaita. Lakhi escaped with the headless body of Guru Tegh Bahadur which he cremated by burning his house and then burying his ashes exactly where the Gurudwara Rakab Ganj stands grandly today while Bhai Jaita escaped with the Guru's head and brought it to Chakk Nanaki at Anandpur Sahib where it was handed over to Guru Gobind Singh who was the son of Guru Teg Bahadur and the tenth and last Sikh Guru where it was cremated. The spot where the ninth Sikh Guru's head was cremated is where a Gurudwara was erected and was named after the incident wherein the severed head of the Guru which means 'Sis' and market area where the Guru was beheaded which means 'Ganj' and thus 'Sis Ganj' originated to mark its sacredness and religious importance amongst all the Sikh Communities.
Guru Gobind Singh Sahib, the tenth and last Sikh Guru in fact visited the shrine of his father way back in 1705 where he stayed for a while and announced Bhai Gurbakhsh Das Udasi as the caretaker of the Holy Shrine. Gurudwara Sis Ganj marks the significance and martyrdom of Guru Tegh Bahadur and was established after a century by Baba Baghel Singh who was also known as an ardent devotee and follower of the teachings of the Sikh Gurus and took all the pains to locate this spot where the Guru's head was cremated. The trunk of a tree under which Guru Tegh Bahadur was beheaded still exist even today amidst the area of Chandni Chowk along with a small well from where the Guru would bathe while he was still in prison under the orders of Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb before he was executed.
The Gurudwara Sis Ganj also has a pedestal erected at the centre hall which is known as one of the oldest and ancient structures in Chakk Nanaki which is located at Anandpur Sahib and known today by the name of Chandni Chowk. This Sacred and Holy Shrine welcome visitors from all walks of life including Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Jains and other religious sects with no barriers and conditions attached on all days especially during festive celebrations wherein everyone is invited to participate and also volunteer and thus annunciates the preaching of all the ten Holy Sikh Gurus.