Bahadurgarh is approximately 29 kms from Delhi and 30 kms from Gurgaon by road. It is elevated at an average height of 206 metres or 675 feet. Today, it is a part of the NCR region and is a well developed Small Scale Industrial Area providing employment to natives residing in and around this region. The region constitutes of various small scale industries that produces small machines and related accessories. This region is also popularly known as the ‘Gateway of Haryana’ and is famous for its delectable Pakoras.
Bahadurgarh is situated on the Delhi - Rohtak Road and encompasses the towns of Kondli and Sonepat. Though the area is predominantly a rural zone and Natives lead a very simple village life, it houses several schools and educational institutes that offer professional degree and diploma programs owing to the people realising the importance of education. Educational Institutes such as the P. D. M. Polytechnic College and several private Computer Institutes dot this small town. It has an average literacy rate of 71% which is higher than the national average literacy rate of 59.5%. It has also been a home to Martyrs and Heroes of the Indian Armed Forces including renowned doctors, engineers and educationist. This region is also a municipal council that encompasses 31 wards in the Jhajjar district within the state of Haryana.
Historically, Bahadurgarh was founded by Mughal Emperor Alamgir II who ruled Delhi between 1754 AD and 1759 AD. He handed over this town as ‘Jagir’ to Bahadur Khan and Tej Khan who were the Baloch rulers of Farrukhnagar during 1754 AD, who later renamed the town from ‘Sharafabad’ to ‘Bahadurgarh’. ‘Jagir’ is a small territory granted by the Emperor to an Army Chieftain for a short term of three years but not extending beyond his lifetime and mainly in recognition of his military service to the Empire.
The Baloch Rulers constructed a Bahadurgarh Fort and ruled for a while up till the town was taken over by the Sindhias in 1793 AD. After the defeat of Sindhia, the town passed into the command of the British Raj in 1803. Later, Lord Lake handed over the town to the brother of the Nawab of Jhajjar. Post the First War of Independence in 1857, the town was forfeited and became a division of the Rohtak district in 1860. After Jhajjar was carved out of Rothak as a separate district, Bahadurgarh became a part of Jhajjar in 1997 despite this town’s higher standards of education, economy, population or administration as compared to the District of Jhajjar.
Bahadurgarh is developing to look like Gurgaon and Faridabad and is well connected by road and rail link. The ‘Fun Town’ located at Asaudha Mor in this town is a popular Tourist attraction and a must visit. Industries include Hindustan National Glass, Hindware, Somany Tiles, Parle Biscuits, Prakash Surya G.I. Pipes and Seaga India Pvt. Ltd., just to name a few.
Currently, Bahadurgarh encompasses four residential sectors which were developed by the Haryana Urban Development Authority or HUDA. Sector 6 is the oldest and most developed of all the Sectors. The Place showcases a lush green environ with good transportation facilities and road network links to all the neighbouring cities. The Footwear Park situated at Sector 16 and Sector 17 has been marked as an upcoming industrial area. Companies such as KLJ Heights, Omaxe, PDM and Times Square are constructing this township with Malls, Hospitals, Schools and Housing Societies.
Today, Bahadurgarh is known as one of the fastest developing towns in the NCR region. Many public sector employees working in Delhi and businessmen have acquired residential property in this town hence, increasing its popularity in the field of Real Estate. The ‘Yellow Line’ of the Delhi Metro Rail Link connects Jahangir Puri Metro Station in Delhi with HUDA City Centre via Civil Lines [Delhi], Rajiv Chowk [Delhi], AIIMS [Delhi] and M G Road and a link to this town is underway and will be completed by 2012. Several Industrial Plants and the Kundli - Manesar - Palwal Highway project which is in the pipeline are sure to mark this town as a developed city in the near future.
Bahadurgarh homes numerous places of worship and a mixed culture. One of the oldest Mahaveer temples is the ‘Sant Kabir Sahib Temple’ situated near the Government Girls School. Another one is the ancient Lord Hanuman Temple situated in Najafgarh Road [NH-10], Lord Shiva's Temple is situated at Aggarwal Colony, Shani Dev Temple and Bhagwan Parsuram Temple both are situated at Bhagwan Parshuram Marg and the ‘Shaktimata Peeth Temple’ situated in Sector 6 is known as one of the most beautiful temples in this town. There are 3 Gurudwaras in this town that include Gurudwara Sachkhand situated in the Main Bazaar area opposite ‘Sant Kabir Sahib Temple’. The second Gurudwara is situated near Najafgarh Road and the third Gurudwara is situated in Guru Nanak Colony.