Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Rules and Guidelines while travelling
While waiting in a Metro Station or travelling in a Metro Link, tourists should be aware of certain rules and guidelines that are followed by every passenger.
- Follow Metro Station Instructions and ensure to read all the notices and listen to announcements.
- Ensure that you do not litter the Metro Stations. Please use Dustbins or Trashcans.
- Be polite and give preference to children and Elderly passengers.
- If you notice any suspicious activity, please notify the DMRC staff immediately.
- The emergency and safety equipment is to be used only in case of emergencies.
- Any misuse will result in legal action and penalties.
- Smoke, Spit, Litter, carry inflammable and chemical materials, Eat, Drink, Play Music, carry pets, Play and cause any sort of havoc and damage to the Metro station property or while travelling inside the Trains. Anyone found doing so will be penalised and punished.
- AFC Gates can detect passengers while walking through. Display your Smartcard or token at the Gate and use it appropriately.
- Allow children, elderly and handicapped passengers to enter first.
- Keep your personal belongings close to your person while passing through the AFC gate.
- Children below the height of the gate need care while crossing it and it is recommended to carry them when passing through the AFC gate.
- Smartcard holders should ensure proper entry and exit at the AFC Gates.
- Force entry or exit at the AFC gate especially in groups.
- Pause, Stop and turn back after passing through the gate.
- Jump over AFC Gates to enter or exit.
- Touch the flaps of the AFC gate.
Escalators & Elevators
- Ensure that you hold the handrail.
- Face towards the moving direction.
- Allow elderly, unwell and disabled people to use the escalator and/or elevator first.
- Take extra care if children, elderly and disabled person is on the escalator or inside the elevator.
- Use the staircase in case the escalator and/or the elevator is not functioning.
- Press the emergency stop switch located at the beginning, middle and end of the escalator and/or the emergency phone and bell in the elevator for assistance, if there is an emergency.
- Always enter or exit the elevators at the designated floor alignment.
- Be wary of suspicious passengers before entering the elevator and if you suspect any, please inform the DMRC Staff immediately.
- Please allow passengers inside the elevator to exit first before you enter and stand towards the left to allow other passengers to enter the escalator.
- Run, Sit, Play, lean on the edges and spit while travelling on escalators.
- Allow Children to use the escalators alone.
- Stand, block or wait at the landing area and exit area of the escalators.
- Carry prams or baggage on the escalators.
- Try to exit in a hurry or panic in case the elevator stops suddenly. This can cause inconvenience to the rest of the people in the elevator.
- Do not try to exit the escalator in a hurry as it may cause an unwarranted stampede.
- Use any elevator during the power cut-offs.
- Stand on the platform behind the yellow line level.
- Allow passengers exit from the train first before you enter.
- Mind the gap between the train and the platform.
- Contact the DMRC station staff on duty for assistance, if you drop your belongings on the platform tracks.
- Contact the DMRC station staff on duty, if you notice any unattended item on the platform.
- Pick your belongings from the tracks if you happen to drop it by mistake as it is very risky; please contact the DMRC station staff immediately for assistance.
- Litter, Spit and Lean on edges of the platform or the Tracks.
- Try to get closer to a moving Metro Train or lean your head off the platform yellow line as it will lead to a fatal accident.
- Try to cross the platform tracks or jump from one platform to the other.
- Attempt to board the Metro train when doors are closing.
- Try to run through a closing door or block it when the doors are shutting.
- Stand away from the doors of the Metro Train.
- Allow children, pregnant women, elderly and disabled passengers to sit first.
- Always hold the handrail or the hand support strap hanger while standing throughout the journey.
- Always ensure to use the safety belt for wheelchair passengers.
- Always ensure that your personal belongings are close to your person at all times during the entire journey.
- Lean against the doors of the Metro Train.
- Place your hand for support on the train doors or the edges of the door.
- Press or Pull any button available in the Metro unless it is an emergency situation.
- Scratch or impair any advertisements or any signage that is seen inside train.
- Sit or Rest your body on the train floor.
- Eat, Smoke, Drink, litter, spit and Listen to loud Music inside the train. If you want to listen to music, please use your headphones respectively.