Hayat Bakhsh Bagh
The Hayat Bakhsh Bagh which means the 'Life giving Garden' lies on the northern side of the main Charbagh Garden and towards the northern part of Moti Masjid or Pearl Mosque within the Red Fort Complex near Chandni Chowk in Delhi. It was built in 1842 by Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar, who was known to be the last Mughal Emperor of India.
During the First Fight for Freedom or Sepoy Mutiny in 1857, the British army completely destroyed the Hayat Bakhsh Garden and what was left was the outline of this garden that is still seen even today however, after restoration, the lawns were then covered with fresh green grass though not so well maintained and can look better.
This Hayat Bakhsh Bagh is made in the typical Persian Garden Style divided into well defined squares with two water canals, a water pool and Pavilions built in the centre of both the northern and southern side named 'Saawan' and 'Bhaadon' respectively after the names of the two main monsoon months. The northern Pavilion was flanked with a gold and silver flower vase on either side. The garden actually sits at the centre of a water pool at the confluence of these two water channels with a red sandstone pavilion built at the centre by Bahadur Shah-II during the 19th Century AD and named after him as the 'Zafar Mahal'.