Coronation Memorial as the name suggests was once the pride and grandeur of the British Raj who ruled over India from late 19th Century up till the Independence of India and it is located on K. B. Hedgewar Marg or Road. To reach here one needs to pass beyond Kingsway Camp right after crossing Nirankari Colony and also 20 km from Connaught Place. Tourists can hire auto rickshaws and taxis to visit this place or alternatively use the Metro Link and de-board at Delhi University Metro Station in North Delhi.
The Coronation Memorial is made out of sandstone in the shape of a pillar which symbolises the Imperialism of British Raj that ceased to exist any longer in India. It is seen erected within the green lawns of Coronation Park on a square shaped platform raised very high from the ground with a flight of steps ascending to the base of the flat platform on all four sides.
After the British overpowered to brave Indian Soldiers and captivated India, they formed Kolkata formerly named as Calcutta as their first Capital of India only later to be shifted to Delhi in 1911. This Coronation obelisk stands exactly at the very place where all the three major events or Durbars were held during the ascension of the British Kings and Queens to the Throne of England attended by all the Indian Rulers of their respective States.
In the year 1877, a grand Durbar was celebrated at this place to commemorate Queen Victoria, who was declared as the Queen of England and the Empress of India and thus ascended the Imperial Throne of England. Later, in 1903, King Edward VII ascended the Throne of England and hence another coronation durbar was held here. However, the grandest Durbar seen by all was during the coronation ceremony of King George V in the year 1911 when, the King himself visited the Capital, Kolkata and announced the shifting of the British Capital to Delhi. For reasons not known, the foundation stone of the Coronation Memorial was later shifted to the walls of the Secretariat in complete secrecy at midnight from its former place in Raisina Hills. Some state that the location was moved so that the stone is saved from the corrosion of the floods from the Yamuna River but this is just a guess work and the real reason is still unknown.
The Coronation Memorial may have been of symbolic importance to the British Raj, however, post Independence, this place is seen surrounded by dense population and it is used as a venue for important Municipal events and religious festivals. It has a huge 15 mts tall statue of King George V in his coronation attire erected under the canopy of India Gate and later shifted to this place. Even the statues of Lord Hardinge and Lord Willingdon are seen erected here to commemorate their significant contribution to the British Government during their rule in India and hence makes this historic tourist site a must visit.