The Parliament House known by all as ‘Sansad Bhavan’ is designed in the shape of a circle by the famous Lutyens and Baker in 1912 and 1913 and constructed from 1921 up till 1927 when it was opened as the house of the Central Legislative Assembly, the Council of State and the Chamber of Princes which housed the Indian Supreme Court up till 1958.
The Parliament House’s foundation stone was erected by the Duke of Connaught of England on 12th February 1921 and the inauguration was held on 18th January 1927 by Lord Irwin who was then the Governor General of India after its completion. It took 83 lakhs to construct this building measuring over 170 metres in diameter and over 536 metres in circumference covering a total area of 6 acres. The outer circle of this circular building is supported by 144 beautifully decorated granite Pillars and the first floor of the House has a Veranda supported by 144 cream coloured columns made of sandstone measuring 27 feet in height.
The Sansad Bhavan is built close to the Rashtrapati Bhavan on Janpath road and is visible from India Gate. The building depicts beautiful Indian architecture put together by expert Indian labourers and craftsmen displaying their skills seen in the fountains sitting on either side of this building and ‘Chhajjas’ that shadows the windows and walls along with ‘Jalis’ made of marble that blends well with modern features like the incorporation of acoustics and air conditioning facilities.