The Secretariat was another architectural genius designed by Lutyens made as a series of buildings made of red sandstone with ornate domes decorated with elephant sculptures and Lotus motifs. It is also called a 'Handsome building' which has two lateral structures and a very long frontline that sits on a 10-acre beautifully landscaped garden.
The Old Secretariat is situated on the Mahatma Gandhi Road that lies on the main Ring Road near the Metro Station of Civil Lines and constructed in 1912 and designed by E. Montague Thomas. It was meant for the use of the British Secretariat after the Capital was moved from Kolkata to Delhi and since 1993 it has been seat of the Vidhan Sabha or the Legislative Assembly of Delhi and will be shifted once the new Secretariat in Raj Ghat is completed.
Earlier on 27th January 1913, the Central Government's Legislative Council held its first sitting within these Chambers and later the meetings were shifted to the Parliament House after its completion and inauguration on 18th January 1927 onwards. On 26th March 1923, the first convocation of the University of Delhi was also held here and later the University rented a portion of this building on a monthly basis. Cultural programs and academic events were organised here till the government's own Assembly was completed in 1952.
Many important decisions, debates, bills, constitutional reforms, procedures and legislations were first discussed and implemented or revoked within the chambers of this Old Secretariat and hence hold a special place and historical value for being the pioneer in building a strong foundation of the future of the Indian Parliament.
Entry into the premises of the Delhi Secretariat building is prohibited; however, you can enjoy its view from outside.