Model Town is primarily a residential complex that is divided into colonies and blocks and hence offers comfortable accommodation with facilities like restaurants, groceries stores, and departmental stores that provide all the essential daily needs for a convenient settlement. Located North of Delhi, Model Town was built in the 1950s by the DLF Group. It is a well-built locality, divided into two parts, Model Town 1 and Model Town 2.
What is a model town famous for?
Things Model Town is famous for :
1. Naini Lake
Naini lake is a small water body located in Model Town 1, perfect for a short getaway. This Lake is maintained by the Delhi Tourism board and offers a boating facility and an excellent spot for picnic lunches and recreational activities. The Lake is surrounded by a well-maintained garden that is fringed with pathways to allow for residents and people to enjoy their morning or evening walks including jogging.
2. Coronation Park
Located near Nirankari Sarovar, this park is a resting place for a number of British monarchs and viceroys including Queen Victoria, King George V, Lord Hardinge, Lord Willingdon, Lord Irwin, and various others. It has been restored by Delhi Development Authority ( DDA) and is definitely worth taking an evening stroll at.
3. Chhatarsal Stadium
Having a seating capacity of around 16,000, Chhatarsal Stadium is among the prominent stadiums in Delhi having world-class sports facilities. It is situated in Mahindra Enclave opposite Model Town III. This Stadium hosted the Soccer games during the 1982 Asia Games held in India. Various sports like athletics, basketball, archery, football, and kabaddi are hosted here. Apart from sports facilities, this stadium has other facilities like a medical room, physiotherapy center, and separate lounges for men and women.
4. Gurudwara Nanak Piao Sahib
Located on the famous GT- Road, Gurudwara Nanak Piao Sahib is a holy place for the Sikhs. It is believed that this shrine was built in 1505 during the reign of Sultan Sikandar Shah Lodhi. This Gurudwara is dedicated to the first Sikh Guru named Sri Guru Nanak Dev and is famous for offering sacred and holy water to all who are thirsty and who visit this shrine. Do visit his holy place of worship and spend a pleasant evening, sitting by the Sarovar.
Famous Landmarks of the Region
- The Alpha Cinema Hall (not functional anymore) which was one of the popular Movie Theatres in Delhi is known as a prominent landmark of Model Town which is situated near the Model Town crossing.
- Model Town 2 crossing is famous for the GT Karnal Road that stretches towards Karnal [which is a city in Haryana] and hence is a major landmark of this region.
- Another popular landmark situated in this zone is the Kamla Nehru Ridge Crossing.
Model Town also encompasses sub colonies that include Derawal Nagar, Gujranwala Town I, II & III, Mahindra Enclave, Nanak Piao, Rana Pratap Bagh, Tagore Park, and the GT Karnal Road Industrial Area. Other localities that fall under this region include Ashok Vihar and Wazirpur.
1. Is Model Town a Posh area?
Yes, Model Town is considered one of the posh and affluent localities of Delhi.
2. Is Model Town a good place to live?
Model Town is the prime residential locality of North Delhi. Not to forget, it will be well connected to other parts of the city as well. It is a safe and peaceful place to live.
3. Is Model Town a residential area?
Yes, it is primarily a residential coney. Model Town is definitely a good place to live, with all the basic amenities available and being well connected to the rest of the city.
4. What are the property rates in Model Town?
The rates of properties at Model Town start from around 30 lacs and the average rate stands at 3.90 crores for a 300 sq yards flat. These rates keep changing due to ever-changing market trends.
How to reach?
Model Town is situated in Alipur Road in the North West Delhi District. It is located just after crossing the Kamla Nehru Ridge and is also in close proximity to Radio Colony. The University of Delhi is situated nearby and hence makes this region apt for out-stationed students looking for affordable accommodation near the University area. The Karnal Road is also linked to this region which allows for easy connectivity to the neighboring states of Delhi. This region is easily accessible by road from ISBT or the inter-State Bus Terminal via the Delhi University, Mall Road, and Kingsway Camp route that runs towards Azadpur and is situated just 15 minutes away.
- The closest metro station to Model Town is the Model Town metro station, located on the yellow line of the Delhi Metro. The Metro Station is located at Kingsway Camp area situated just 1.1 Kms or 3 minutes away.
- If you are traveling by air, the distance from Delhi Airport to Model Town is approximately around 26 km and will take around 1 hour to reach.
- On the other hand, if you are traveling by train, the distance from New Delhi railway station to Model Town is 10km, and will take nearly 45 minutes to travel. Alternatively, the distance from Nizamuddin Railway to Model Town is 22 km and will take around 1 hour to reach.
Model Town is surrounded by important areas like Adarsh Nagar, Azadpur, Badli, Delhi University, Dr. Mukherjee Nagar, Guru Tegh Bahadur Nagar, Jahangirpuri, Pitampura, Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar, Shalimar Bagh, and Timarpur.
Places to eat in Model Town
Besides the tourist attractions, Model Town also homes a number of renowned multi-cuisine restaurants, Ice Cream Parlours, and Bakery Stores such as Giani, Gola Northend, Kabab Factory, Nut Khut Chat Corner, and The Dragon Hucks.
Model Town is definitely a well-built locality with all the basic amenities available in the blink of an eye.