I’ve been to South Extension recently and had a great time shopping. This place offers practically everything you need and is packed with shops of all kinds, branded and others. I was so blown away by the variety, I thought it would be interesting to round up all my favourite shops, timings and pro tips for a day out here. So, let’s explore the market.
What is South Extension famous for?
South Extension is famous for its shopping, eateries and street food. From branded shops to designer wear, everything can be found at South Extension market which makes it one of the most visited places in Delhi NCR. It is one of Delhi’s high-end markets like CP, Khan Market, and GK. The market has become a hub for branded fashion This market hosts some of the most famous brands such as Tanishq, Kapoor Watch Co, FabIndia, US Polo, Van Heusen, Le Senza, United Colours of Benetton, Woodland, Louis Philippe, Arrow, Satya Paul, Manyavar, Nalli, etc. If there is one thing the marketplace of South Extension assures, then it will be the authentic and premium quality of items.
Timings & Days Open
- The South Extension market is open from Tuesday to Sunday. It is closed on Mondays.
- The market timings are from 11.00 AM to 9.00 PM.
Location & How to reach?
South Extension market is very convenient as it is located on the main Ring Road. You can easily reach South Ex via road or metro. The South Extension metro Station of the Delhi Metro lies on Delhi Metro Pink Line.
- The distance from Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGI) to South Extension is 13 km.
- 7.5KM away from Nizamuddin Railway Station.
- South Extension is 10.4 KM away from New Delhi Railway Station.
- Only 20 minutes away from Connaught Place via a well connecting Ring road.
Must visit stores in South Extension
1. Indian Bridal wear-Saree, Lehenga, Salwar
3. Bags & shoes
4. Indian ethnic wear for men
5. International brands-Levis & Lacoste
As marriage or a festival season is around the corner, where you should wear a beautiful Saree, Lehenga, Salwar, Dhoti, or anything ethnic or you want to buy your wedding dresses, I suggest you check out some of the stores in South Extension. Stores like Manyavar have some of the trendiest collections for weddings. Also, check out some separate designer’s stores and their unique designs.
- Frontier Raas is likely the finest store where you can visit and check out the latest designs for your wedding apparel. Their largest store lies in South Ex, which houses some collections of Lehenga, gowns, sarees, and Sherwin’s for the bride and groom. Each design is a blend of Indian heritage with some western elements.
You should check out some of the earliest designers in this Delhi shopping market for a wide selection of bridal wear garments.
- I must say, Ritu Kumar is one of the best designer stores for bridal wear. The starting range for exquisite bridal wear is around Rs 1, 00,000-Rs2, 00,000/piece. It is expensive but worth the money when you touch and feel the cloth.
- Then there are three family-owned stores- UM MadanLal, UshnakMal Madan Lal & Ushnak Mal, Where you can shop for beautiful bridal Lehenga, wedding dresses and sarees.
- Meena Bazar is yet another recognized name that you can visit to look at shiny & shimmery Lehenga and sarees.
- Nalli Silks and Rasi Silks are famous for their silk sarees and variety of fabrics. A guide is willing to accompany you as soon as you step into the shop and try to provide the best possible result for your vision or type. It is the most trusted shop in Delhi for silk sarees like Banarasi sarees and Kanjiwaram sarees.
Jewellery stores in South Ex Market
Tanishq, Nathumal, P C Jewelers, KC Jewelers, and Khanna Jewelers are some of the known Indian craftsmen known for the quality and purity of diamond and gold jewellery.
Footwear stores in South Ex
You can find tons of new and modern stores for footwear and accessories like D&A, Clarks, Venus Steps, Woods, Vanson and Metro Shoes, and more. Many other shops are in the back lanes of the South extension Market.
Levis, Lacoste, and others are some of the well-recognized international brands for finding a perfect casual outfit.
Louis Philippe, Peter England, and more are some of the formal stores in the market.
Food Outlets in South Extension
1. Bengal Sweets (South Ex -I)
Bengali sweet house is one of the oldest shops in Delhi and is famous for its large variety of sweets. I suggest you try Jalebi with Rabdhi (personally tried); the crunch of jalebi filled with sugar syrup is just worth trying. Other than that all the food available here is great in taste.
2. Daitchi (South Ex -II)
Daitchi restaurant in South Extension two in the market has been there for three decades. I didn’t find a single problem and loved this place very much. It is an old-school place; ambience is decent, comfortable, and clean. The staff is too polite and fast, must try their chiefs’ special dishes that are way too tempting. The restaurant does not serve liquor available.
3. Tuk Tuk (South Ex -II)
Tuk Tuk is a famous restaurant in the South Extension market. This place has great food Quality with Comfort sitting. It is famous for its authentic Chinese food and its famous dishes are Five spice exotic vegetable dumdums, Mocha Fudge, Hakka Noodles, Roasted Peanuts, and Burmese Curry. This place is not expensive; it will cost you around 700 Rs to have a meal there.
4. Kailash Ji Rasoi (South Ex -I)
If you want to add some desi tadhka to your meal, then Kailash Ji Rasoi is the best place. It gave you a typical old dhaba vibe. You will surely enjoy your meal here.
5. Bombay Bhelpuri (Near Midland Book shop) (South Ex -I)
Want to enjoy Bombay Bhel, Bhel Pure, Veg Grilled Sandwich, Chaat, Sandwich, and Snacks in Delhi, then visit Bombay Bhelpuri. People often say it is the best place to eat Bhelpuri in Delhi.
1. Is South Extension a posh area?
South Extension is one of the posh localities in Delhi, situated on the ring road, well connected to one of the best marketplaces in Delhi.
2. Is South Extension market expensive?
Yes, South Extension is one of the most expensive marketplaces not only in the capital but in the whole of India; It is considered one of the best markets for shopping, especially for an elite class.
3. Is South Extension safe?
Yes, South Extension is one of the safest areas of the capital, and it is also a very peaceful place to enjoy.
4. Which brands are available in South Extension?
Some of the most famous brands in South Extension street are:-
- Levi’s Exclusive Store
- Marks & Spencer.
- Project Eve
- Van Heusen Exclusive Store.
- U.S Polo Assn.
- Kapoor Watch Co.
- US Polo.
- Le Senza.
- United Colours of Benetton.
- Louis Philippe.
- Satya Paul.
5. Best Saree Shops in South Extension
Some of the most famous Saree shops on South Extension street are:-
- Nalli Silks and Rasi Silks
- Meena Bazar
- UM MadanLal, UshnakMal Madan Lal & Ushnak Mal
- Frontier Raas
- Delhi Travel Tips - June 22, 2021
- Banks and ATMs in Delhi - June 22, 2021
- Local Areas of Delhi - June 14, 2021