Seelampur is in North East Delhi district in the National Capital Territory of Delhi, situated adjacent to and southwest of Delhi. It is one of the oldest inhabited places in Delhi. Located here is one of the biggest wholesale markets for fabrics and garments.
Seelampur, formerly spelled as Silampur is an official constituency of Delhi and is a huge region with a population of more than 2 lakh. Within Seelampur are numerous markets especially a huge wholesale as well as retail cloth market famous for affordable shopping. It is an old established region of Delhi and has a huge residential area as well. Seelampur is also divided into two parts named Old Seelampur and New Seelampur. While Old Seelampur is well established, and this is where the major markets are located. The New Seelampur area, mainly has residential colonies.
Where is it located and How to reach?
Seelampur is located in the North-East District of Delhi. It is close to to other markets like Sahadara, Krishna Nagar, Arjun Nagar, East Azad nagar amongst others. You will find the cloth market Shanti Mohalla, Gandhi Nagar Market here.
You can easily reach the Seelampur Market through different means of transport.
- By Metro: Seelampur Metro Station is on the Red Line. The main cloth market is 1.8 Kms or 10 minutes away from the metro station and you can easily walk to the market.
- By Road: You can easily travel to Seelampur by your own vehicle or autos, taxis, rickshaws etc. Keep in mind that Seelampur is a very crowded area and it is very difficult to find parking facility in the region.
- By Railway– Seelampur is located approximately 10.4 km or 32 minutes from the New Delhi Railway Station and 7.6 Kms or 27 minutes from the Old Delhi Railway Station.
- By Air- It is 31 Kms or 68 minutes from the Indira Gandhi International Airport.
- By Bus– The Inter State Bus Terminal located at Kashmere Gate and Civil Lines area is situated just 5.3 kms or 18 minutes away and offers a number of DTC Buses that ply on the ISBT Road that connects this region to other places in Delhi.
Where to Park your cars?
The best place to park your car is actually the metro station parking itself. The parking is a 5 minute waking distance from the market. Also, do not park your car on the roadside. Police Tow vehicles regularly visit the market and your car can get ttowed away.
Seelampur Cloth Market
Seelampur area has the wholesale and retail cloth market located in Shanti Mohulla and Ghandhi Nagar. The best thing about this market is that it offers you cheap rates as compared to other markets present in Delhi. You can get anything from here starting from saris to shirts, pants and even accessories such as bags and belts etc at an affordable price. But the market is known for the variety of fabrics cooton, nylon, laces, lace fabrics, shantoon and more that you can use to stitch your apparels.
Other Place to Visit in Seelampur
Sanatam Dharam Mandir
This old and anciet temple is located in the New Seelampur area. It has a huge devotional following and is visited by hundreds of devotees everyday. It also has a big Dharamshala attached to it and hosts regular religious programs.
Famous Sweet and Savory shops in Seelampur
Seelampur is hub of shopping. You can visit these places to take a break from shopping or if you are hungry. Here is the list of top restaurants in Seelampur.
- Bhappe Dii Hattii – It is located in the main Ghandhi Nagar. It serve Delhi specials like Paneer Chole Bhature, Rajma Chawal, Raita, Kheer and other delicacies.
Punjabi Dhaba– Typical punjabi food is served at this Dhaba. You can enjoy delicacies like Dal Makhani, Lachha Parantha and other punjabi dishes.
- Nagpal Di Hatti – Located in Veer Savarakar Market, it specialises in Moth Kachori and Chole Bhature.
Piccent cheesy cafe – If you are not in a mood for Indian food, but want to snack on Pizzas. Burgers or just have a quick sandwich and shake then this is the place for you. It is also very easily accessible as it is situated at the East Azad Nagar Metro Station itself.
Som Dhaba – This shop serves mouth-watering and a wide variety of dishes. You can also order sweets like Gajar ka halwa and Moong Dal ka Halwa if you have a sweet tooth. It is located in the New Seelampur area near the Sanatam Dharam Mandir.
- Best Bakery – The Best Bakery serves a variety of biscuits, cakes, and pastries and is open on all days between 6:00 AM to 12:00 Midnight. Address – K-89 on the Main Road of Seelampur [110 053].
Where to stay in Seelampur?
The surrounding area of Seelampur is also dotted with a number of Luxury Hotels as well as Budget Hotels that offer a comfortable stay for all tourists and visitors looking for a place close to Old Delhi and its historical sites including the Red Fort and Jama Masjid.
- Tara Palace Hotel is located just 2.26 km away,
- The Oberoi Maidens Hotel is a Heritage Hotel located just 2.47 km away,
- The Hotel Delhi City Centre is situated just 3.3 km away and opposite the New Delhi Railway Station, and
- The Chanchal Deluxe Hotel is situated just 3.43 km away,
- The Chanchal Continental Hotel is located about 3.44 Kms away,
- The Legend International Hotel is just 3.44 km away,
- The Ajanta Hotel is 3.45 Kms away, Hotel Parkway Deluxe is 3.46 Kms away,
- Hotel Elegant International is 3.47 Kms away,
- Harjas Palace is 3.47 km away,
- Hotel Airport Inn is 3.47 Kms away,
- Hotel Woodland Deluxe is 3.47 Kms away,
- Hotel Balaji Deluxe is 3.49 Kms away,
- Hotel Grand Godwin is 3.52 Kms away,
- The Lalit Hotel is 3.58 Kms away,
- Hotel Ashiana is 3.59 Kms away,
- Hotel Krishna is 3.61 Kms away,
- Maple Inn is 3.61 Kms away,
- Country Inn & Suites By Carlson is 3.62 Kms away and
- The Lemon Tree Hotel is just 3.63 kms away.
Hope you enjoy your visit to Seelmpur and buy a variety of fabrics for yourself.